Saturday, July 28, 2007

On The Principle of Groucho Marxian Self-Exclusion

The comedian, Groucho Marx said:
"I would not join any club that would have someone like me for a member."

Groucho's principle of self-exclusion rests upon one or more of the following assumptions:
1. There is something wrong with any vetting process that he could pass.
2. There is something wrong with the club because it accepted him.
3. There is something wrong with him.
4. Clubs that would exclude him are superior to clubs that would include him.
5. Groucho is in a position to refuse membership.
6. There may possibly be other people like Groucho that should be excluded.
7. Since clubs consist of members, there is something wrong with the members that would vet Groucho or someone like him.

While in Groucho's case, he applied the principle of self-exclusion to a club, it could be applied more widely to any organization:

"I would not join any organization that would include someone like me."

A more strongly stated principle, the Strong Principle of Self-Exclusion would eliminate "someone like me" and replace it with the more definitive "me:"

"I would not join any organization that would include me."

For those who accept Groucho's principle after obtaining membership in an organization, a slightly different formulation is needed:

"I will quit any organization that has previously accepted me."

This formulation, also know as voluntary exit, is not without practical application.